Getting Prepared for SUMMER! Breakdown Of What The Kiddos Will Review...

Hiya, homeschoolers! I am VERY happy that it is the end of the school year for us. I am pooped! Pooped, I tell ya. I worked hella hard this school year, harder than I ever have. And that's because we have older kids now, and older kids require more work and guidance.
I know that some of you school completely though the summer, and that's fine. But I need this break. For the most part, I now follow my county's school schedule, not totally down to the T, but you know, whenever I feel that it's time, I will quit.
HOWEVER, we all know that kids tend to forget everything during the summer. They go and have too much fun for 2-3 months and when the new school term rolls around, they forget every damn thing they learned last time, and that's a lot of time having to reteach and review. So, with that being said, I am already preparing a plan for what they will be doing for the summer academically.

-Book reports are definitely gonna be one of them. I haven't implemented them yet and my oldest is going to 4th grade. I haven't done it yet because we have yet to get a printer so that I can either create or find a template for them to do their book reports on. But I will find a way anyway!

-DAILY reading is also still going to be a thing. A daily thing. My kids love to read; I instilled that into them early. I don't read to them anymore as much as I probably should, especially the youngest ones, but they still enjoy reading because I let them choose what they WANT to read rather then ramming boring topics down their throats. They also love reading to their younger siblings, so that takes a load off of me. They ready daily... once in the morning and again before bed as a wind down technique. That will never change.


-Math. Oh boy. Math drills are a MUST. They will definitely be doing a lot of review and practice math work, so they won't forget how to subtract larger numbers and somehow let their times tables whisk out of their ears and into the abyss. Lots of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division will be done over the summer. 

-Spelling/Vocabulary- Gotta learn new words, right? They will still be doing crucial things like writing sentences, reviewing parts of speech, doing ABC order, and defining words using their dictionary. Expanding their vocabulary is a must.

-Science... I plan to review and teach a few science topics too, because with science, you can learn that by just going outside and observing leaves. Also, we haven't done much science work this year as far as learning about the body and maps and things like that, simply because I hadn't had the material for it. But we just ordered some material for that... and it will be in a future post.

Those are the basics of what they will be doing for the summer, along with home economics. The math will be minimal stuff that I don't necessarily have to help them with. That is entirely the point. I plan to work on myself and some personal projects of my own these next few months, as well as helping my husband with some things that we must accomplish, so I need the kids to be on their own as far as their review subjects. I want this summer to be a breeze. It unties my hands as far as when I can take them outside and do some other things with them that don't involve schoolwork, like art projects and board games.

If you are like me and preparing to do minimal work for the summer, don't forget to PACE YOURSELF! They are not going to forget everything as long as you dedicate a few days out of the week to review what they previously learned. Don't over-stress, especially if you have multiple kids like me. Let it flow. If anything, this is the best time to implement some unschooling.

So I am excited about the break... it's a relief for me and everyone else. More time for fun means, well, more time for fun! :)


                                           ~Uncaged Learning~
Follow us on IG & YouTube! (curlsofinnocence)



Comments

Popular Posts