Things are Lackluster… And Here’s Why.

 Hello, happy homeschoolers! 🤩 I keep forgetting to write here. But it’s okay. I am back for now. I wanted to get a few things off my chest. 

So I don’t usually take summer breaks, because sometimes I feel like there’s no point in doing so. We did not take an actual break this summer and we didn’t get to have a lot of fun per se, however, we did learn a lot. The kids and I mostly did a lot of unschooling together… multiple situations and life lessons as well as lots of reading. 


Things have been a lil lackluster lately, because of lack of finances. You know, the oldest kids get bored so quickly now, it’s getting ridiculous. Most days I am not sure what to do with them. Yes, they have their own schedules, but you know how kids are. They don’t always want to follow said schedule. They don’t have much of a choice though. If we don’t keep a schedule, I would really be struggling trying to teach all five of them and I already know this; that has been the case for how many years. But you know, it is what it is. Regardless of if they feel like doing the work or not, they have to deal with it. I have already asked them if they would like to go to school instead and of course they all said hell no! I expected them to say that, especially my oldest child. She is really skeptical about attending public school! I don’t blame her. But we gave them the pros and cons of going to public school and we always leave it open. These days I have to leave it open because if they truly want to go, I will not stop them. They are old enough now to make their own decisions to an extent, obviously.

I find myself questioning a lot about whether or not I should put them all in school anyway. Because things are so lackluster at home, sometimes I feel bad about not having anything to give them to do. It’s just the same old stuff. But that’s what we all deal with, anyway! Even as adults, we go to work, and do the same things over and over and over until our brains bleed. Kids, for some reason don’t really grasp the concept until their maturity peaks. In the meantime, you just have to put up with their attitudes and boredom. They are starting to understand more and more than life is just a bunch of damn repetition. Some good, some bad. Regardless, of which route they go, whether they are in public school or they are at home, they are going to be working hard at something.  “You may not like the work from the workbooks that I give you, but my work is much easier than the 7-8 classes and 50-eleven tests that you must pass in order to graduate! You’re gonna have to deal with and listen to somebody in order to graduate.” I remind them all the time, whether you listen to me or you listen to somebody else, you’re going to be listening to somebody in order to attempt to get somewhere in this world . 



So, even though I’m struggling, trying to juggle five kids schedules, workbooks, meal times, grading, questions, hair doing, a bunch of reprimanding throughout the entire day, working out, uploading YouTube videos, maintaining my marriage, answering emails, and 1 million other things I can think of, homeschooling has sort of been on the back burner lately and I have been picking it up again. These kids always seem to forget everything, even if its been only a month! 😬 It’s annoying, indeed. Sometimes, I’m struggling through my own mental health or trying to help my husband through something serious as well and things have to be on the backburner. My oldest, who is now 14, understands this now. Shit happens. 🥴

The oldest kids are mostly on auto pilot during homeschool hours because I have to help the younger kids. Kyanah, who is now 7 and still doesn’t read (my fault), needs my undivided attention. It works for the most part. We have a little set up that we use every day, and sometimes life still happens and things get thrown off. But that’s just a part of life. We just pick up where we left off and continue. If everybody is not done with their schoolwork by 3 o’clock in the afternoon, I told them to put it away to continue the next day, because by 3 o’clock my brain is hella fried! 

I just had to get this off my chest a bit because I have not really vented about homeschooling in a while. 🥲 I hope that this helps some of you, because when things get hard, you just have to fight through it just a little bit harder. It’s all worth it in the end if you truly want to keep homeschooling. Your kids will push you to the end of the road to make you want to give up homeschooling, even though you know it’s the best route for them. I am here to tell you not to give up. I’ve been homeschooling since these kids were born; I’ve always considered it homeschooling. There was never a time where I wasn’t teaching them some thing all day every day. It’s only natural that I’m getting a little tired right about now, don’t you think? Haha! 

Right now, I’m thinking of more ways to make home schooling a lot more fun for everyone. You don’t need a ton of money to keep everyone happy, you know, kids will make you feel as it is, though that’s the case. But keep doing what you know to do. There will be good days and there will be bad days. That’s my little motivational speech for today. Thank you for reading! Don’t forget to follow me on Instagram. Have a wonderful day. 

IG: uncagedlearninghomeschool 💜




Comments

Popular Posts