Poverty And Homeschooling

 Hiya, homeschoolers! I've been compelled to finally write a post here after close to a year. 

Life has been fairly... well, normal. I haven't much to update regarding the kid's education. I've been taking more and more breaks from exclusively homeschooling using workbooks, although they still learn through daily activities and talks. But life has been overwhelming, emotionally and financially.


I wanted to encourage the people who are in the poverty bracket, but still want to homeschool, like us. Many people have told us that we should not homeschool because we weren't born with silver spoons in our mouths, and that we owed our kids something so called better. But in our view, sending the kids to school just because you are poor and can't 'afford to stay home' doesn't mean that you're not worthy of teaching your own kid. 


If you're financially poor and feel bad that you're not able to give your kids the homeschool education that you originally wished for, like me, then don't fret it! Keep going! Use what you've got. Sometimes, having more money isn't always better because then you have too many choices to choose from. You are not unworthy because you don't make 100k a year and are not able to send your kids to a million and one extracurricular activities. Do what you can. If the library is all you can go for, then do that. That's the best thing they can do for homeschool, anyway. Parks are free. If you don't have a vehicle, then just letting the kids play outside is still useful and beneficial for their health.

Often times, this money factor discourages my husband and I, because we came from poverty and sexual abuse, narcissism and financial neglect/forced debt. Twas a recipe for disaster when we got married and proceeded to have five kiddos. But through a bunch of stress from the aforementioned things as well as homelessness, hopelessness, and suicidal attempts, we're surprisingly able to still have our sanity and keep our kids out of the school system. That system can't do any more for them than we can, and with this covid stuff, it's even more of a no go now. I'm not going to have them force that vaccine down my 12 year old's throat!

So, being still poor and all, we're still here and thriving. Slowly. If you know me from my Epic Realist YouTube channel, then you know my story with my sexual abuse and betrayal through my life. It hasn't been easy, but if we can get through all of that with little money, I know that you guys can as well. :)


                              ~Uncaged Learning Homeschool~

                 IG: uncagedlearninghomeschool

Comments

Popular Posts