I Used To Think This About Homeschoolers...

 Hey, happy homeschoolers! It's been a looooong minute since I wrote here. What can I say? This year so far has been the worst shit storm for everyone, with the coronavirus pandemic going on and everything that THAT entails.

I've been under severe homeschool burnout for months on end, and I took practically the whole summer off to focus more on myself and some of my own personal priorities. It's been bliss, I have to say. I really needed it. Sometimes, you have to take some major time to focus on yourself rather than your kids all the time so you won't lose yourself. 

This is the first post of this year that I'm making, only so I can start getting back into blogging again as well as hyping myself up for another homeschool year.

So, I was doing some research and this topic came up... the fact that I used to believe that homeschooling was only for 'Christians' or religious based people. Frankly, that's literally how I used to think as a teenager, because I grew up religious and a lot of those types of people had been upset since they decided to remove prayer from schools decades ago. A lot of families took the liberty in schooling from home because they wanted to maintain a Christ based atmosphere for their kids. That's just how things were, especially in the 90s.

However, that's not entirely the case for every family NOW. Less and less families are homeschooling for religion, but for the other benefits, you know, like having more time to spend with your kids, having flexibility as far as time, not trusting strangers with their kids, and teaching what you want them to learn without being bombarded by testing. In these recent years, I'd say, about 10-20 years, religion has been less of a priority in homeschool families simply because a lot of us who grew up in religious households were more brainwashed and abused by it rather than being uplifted through morality. I'm a prime example of that. My 'Christian based' household and childhood definitely weren't the best at all, and if you want to know what I mean, head to YouTube and look up Epic Realist. 

I used to think that only religious people had the 'right' to homeschool, that being focused on Jesus  was the only liable reason to pull your kids out of public school. Even though I hated public school when I was enrolled in it, It didn't register to me yet that there could be other reasons besides possibly 'overly sheltering your children'. That didn't register until I was grown and planned to homeschool my own kids before we even had them. 

I am happy to say that up to today, I see a lot of different types of families homeschooling for their own personal reasons, reasons that don't involve religion. Religion isn't everything, and your kids can learn morality without having a set religion. Your morals are within you already if you're a good person; you can teach them those morals and values yourself without every lesson being centered around religion. 

I love seeing families who are Afrocentric based with their education, plant based living families, travel based families schooling from their RVs, LGBT families, polygamous families, all different kinds of family dynamics that are more open minded and accepting than just the traditional religion based family. This isn't to throw any shade on anyone at all; I am just proud to know that homeschooling isn't always entirely centered around some kind of religion.

And to me, I think that's the most wonderful thing about it. :)


~Uncaged Learning Homeschool~

8.8.20

Follow our adventures on Instagram at @ uncagedlearninghomeschool! 

School starts Monday! 



Comments

Popular Posts